Interested in ocean science and conservation? Eager to learn about Catalina Island kelp forest ecosystems? Become a Citizen Scientist for a day!
We’ve partnered with Bleu World to offer Discover Scientific Diving to certified scuba divers – an exclusive half-day experience that will introduce you to the world of underwater scientific research focusing on the kelp forests of Southern California.
Hoping to improve your skills as a diver too? We’ll cover a range of topics including:
- buoyancy control to position yourself as you observe marine life
- task loading plus use and management of specialized gear
- techniques and strategies for conducting research underwater
- identifying fish, invertebrates and algaes found in local waters
- steps you can take toward ocean conservation and sustainability
You’ll even have the opportunity to complete a Roving Diver Survey and contribute your own data to ongoing citizen science projects both at home and abroad! Learn more about Ocean Conservation and Citizen Science. As scuba divers, we share a deep connection with the ocean. We can make a difference for ocean protection every time we dive. PADI AWARE is a global movement for ocean protection, and we are proud to be a PADI 100% AWARE Partner. The more you learn about our underwater environment, the more you can appreciate it.
Discover Scientific Diving is not a PADI program but is a great introduction to our specialty PADI AWARE classes like Fish Identification, Dive Against Debris and Underwater Naturalist. Consider becoming a PADI Torchbearer!
During your day you’ll hear how we’re making a difference at Casino Point. Ask us about earning a PADI AWARE Specialist certification while you’re here!
If you have unique needs, we’re here for you! Learn more
What to Expect
- Your dive leader will call you ahead of time, so you’ll be able to get to know each other and get answers to any questions you might have.
- Your two dives will be conducted at the beautiful Casino Point Dive Park, which is a world-class marine preserve located in Avalon with a shore entry down a short flight of stairs. (Adaptive accommodations are available.)
- To begin, you’ll receive personalized training on buoyancy control, task loading, and gear management underwater. We’ll spend the morning talking about your dive experience, teaching techniques to improve in these areas and working with you in the Dive Park.
- Then we’ll have an interactive discussion of Southern California kelp forest ecosystems. As a trained kelp forest scientific diver, your dive leader will teach you how to identify indicator species and explain how those species interact in the ecosystem. Plus you’ll learn about how the ecosystem has changed due to our warming climate and what’s being done to address those shifts.
- We’ll cover various methods used by ocean scientists in their research. You’ll even have the opportunity to practice deploying a transect tape and using it to conduct visibility measurements underwater!
- Finally, depending on your level of comfort in the water, you may have the chance to complete a Roving Diver Survey and contribute data to the REEF and Spotting Giant Sea Bass citizen science databases!
- All divers must currently hold Open Water or Jr. Open Water certification.
- Minimum Age: Certified divers ages 10 and up may participate. (Depth limits also apply.)
- Waivers: Standard waivers will be sent to you ahead of time. If anyone under the age of 18 is participating, there are additional forms which must also be completed and signed by a parent or guardian and returned via email as soon as possible before your arrival.
- Experience Concierge Diving – just bring a bathing suit and towel! Water temperatures do range from mid-50s – upper 60’s F (depending on the time of year) so if it’s chilly, make sure you bring a warm jacket for when we’re between dives.
- We provide everything you need, from quality high-end gear to shade, mats and chairs – even locked storage for your valuables and fresh water to rinse off after your dive. All included for no extra charge. Learn more
Gear Package includes:
- 7mm wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves, as needed
- Mask, fins and snorkel
- Computer, if needed
- BCD, regulator, tanks and weights
- Sizing: Please indicate the correct body weight, height and shoe size for each diver. Because we bring your gear to you, we would need to leave Casino Point to exchange sizes or retrieve necessary items.
- Scientific Diving Specialty Gear: We will provide a Fish ID card, slates, sample survey materials, transect tape and reels for use during your time with us. Once we’ve wrapped up for the day, you will receive your own underwater survey paper for REEF’s Volunteer Fish Survey Project to take with you. Maybe you’ll want to complete another survey dive on your own in the future!
- Drinks and Snacks: We provide water (and hot beverages if it’s chilly), but please feel free to bring your own light snacks and we’ll keep them in a cooler if needed.
- Catering: Healthy catered lunches including options for protein shakes are available at an additional fee.
Our Environmental Commitment ensures that our gear, products and packaging are as eco-friendly as possible. Learn more
Half Day of Discover Scientific Diving – Four hours, up to 2 dives
Choose Morning (8am – 12pm) or Afternoon (1pm – 5pm)
- $300 per person – If one customer only, $400
- Active Military and First Responders: $270 per person – If one customer only, $360
- Add PADI AWARE Specialist certification: $55 per person Learn More
- Add catered food or beverages for your surface interval. See Menus
All prices are in US dollars.
Please carefully review our full Terms, Conditions and Cancellation Policy before purchase.