What to Expect
- Your instructor will call each diver before the class begins, so you’ll be able to get to know each other and ask any questions you might have.
- Your class will be conducted at the beautiful Casino Point Dive Park, which is a world-class marine preserve located in Avalon with a shore entry down a short flight of stairs. (Adaptive accommodations are available.)
- Pacific water is considered cold water year-round (upper 50s-low 60s F in winter and upper 60s – low 70s in summer), so you will be wearing a 7mm wetsuit, boots and possibly a hood.
- You must have completed either your eLearning or Knowledge Development prior to arrival.
- On your first day we’ll review the information you learned to make sure you have a clear understanding of the information.
- Your instructor will evaluate the skills you’ve learned so far, based on your referral paperwork you provided prior to arrival. This may include both land and water-based skills.
Open Water Training
- If you’ve completed your Confined Water skills and can demonstrate them effectively, we will proceed with Open Water dives.
- If you have not completed your Confined Water portion, we can begin with that.
- PLEASE NOTE: The Park is considered Confined Open Water by PADI standards. None of your class will be conducted in a pool – there are no pools available on the island.
Advanced Open Water Training
- After your checkout dive, your instructor may determine that Peak Performance Buoyancy may be required as one of your Adventure Dives. If so, that will be your first dive.
Breaks and Snacks
- We will take surface intervals between each dive, with time for resting, water and a healthy lunch.
There’s always time for questions – we’re here to help you every step of the way!
- eLearning or Knowledge Development must be complete before arrival on the island.
- Please provide Referral paperwork before your arrival.
- Please bring your Logbook which has been signed off by your previous instructor.
- We prefer to keep the class sizes small to a maximum of 3 divers (Open Water) or 4 divers (Advanced Open Water) in one party so that everyone has enough time to learn in comfort at their own pace. However, if you have a larger family group, please call us and we will try to accommodate your needs.
- We have had requests by certified friends or family members to join divers on certification classes. Generally, this is not allowed, as both the student and instructor need to be focused on diver skills and safety. If this is something you feel strongly about, please call us to discuss your concerns.
- Minimum Age for Jr. Open Water Training: While PADI standards allow for divers as young as 10 to earn a Jr. Open Water Diver certification, we have found that generally students under the age of 12 learn better in a pool to start. If they have already completed Confined Water skills, you know your child best so please call us to discuss. We may wish to speak with their previous instructor. If we do make an exception, they will be the only diver in the class.
- Insurance: If you are earning any certification other than Open Water, you must purchase your own DAN Dive Insurance for every member of your group and provide proof of insurance prior to your arrival on Catalina Island. Learn more
- Medical Clearance: All certification classes require medical clearance before arrival on the island. Please download and complete this form immediately, returning it signed via email as soon as possible before your arrival.
- Depending on each diver’s unique circumstance, signoff by a medical doctor may be required. Please contact us immediately if you have any concerns whatsoever. If you need medical signoff and you do not have that before your arrival, you will not be allowed to proceed with your class.
- If anyone under the age of 18 is participating, there are additional forms which will be provided, and which must also be completed and signed by a parent or guardian and returned via email as soon as possible before your arrival.
- Not a great swimmer? You don’t have to be an Olympic swimmer to dive but you do need to be in reasonably good health and comfortable in the ocean. Give us a call to discuss any concerns.
- Do bring your own bathing suit and towel. We also recommend bringing a warm jacket for surface intervals.
- Private Instruction: Your class will be yours alone. No one you don’t know will be participating.
- Gear: We provide everything you need for your day of diving from quality high-end gear, to shade, mats and chairs – even locked storage for your valuables and fresh water to rinse off after your dive. All included for no extra charge. Learn more
Gear Package includes:
- 7mm wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves, as needed
- Computer, if needed
- Mask, fins and snorkel
- BCD, regulator, tanks and weights
- Insurance: For Open Water divers, we provide DAN Diver Medical coverage for the duration of your certification class. For any other classes, you must purchase your own DAN Dive Insurance for every member of your group and provide proof of insurance prior to your arrival on Catalina Island. Learn more
- Sizing: Please indicate the correct body weight, height and shoe size for each diver. Because we bring your gear to you, we would need to leave Casino Point to exchange sizes or retrieve necessary items. This may not leave enough time for all dives planned per day, incurring additional fees for the time needed to complete the class.
- If you already have your own gear, we’ll fit you and help you learn to use it properly.
- If you have your own computer, please download and carefully read the user manual before you arrive.
- Proof of Certification: We will process your certification and PADI will issue a certification e-Card upon completion of your class. Physical cards may be purchased from PADI at an additional charge.
- Drinks and Snacks: We provide water (and hot beverages if it’s chilly), but please feel free to bring your own light snacks and we’ll keep them in a cooler if needed.
- Catering: Healthy catered lunches including options for protein shakes are available at an additional fee.
Our Environmental Commitment ensures that our gear, products and packaging are as eco-friendly as possible. Learn more
$450 per person per day, up to 3 training dives per day
Additional Training Days
Purchase of a class does not guarantee certification. Additional days may be required to complete training dives (at the discretion of your PADI instructor) in order to meet PADI standards for certification.
- Additional half training day (less than 4 hours): $250 per person
- NOTE: For Adaptive Divers, different rates may apply. Please call us to discuss your unique situation
- Add PADI AWARE Specialist certification: $55 per person Learn more
- Add Enriched Air/ Nitrox certification: $195 per person, includes eLearning. Learn more
- A second certification may be earned during your Referral Dives at a reduced rate from purchase of a stand-alone class. There is no separate in-water dive, but Nitrox may be used during a training dive.
- eLearning must be complete before arrival.
- Nitrox tank rental may be done on-site through a local vendor at an additional fee.
- Bundling Classes: If you are interested in bundling other certifications, please call us to discuss your options.
- Add catered food or beverages for your surface interval. See Menus
All prices are in US dollars.
Please carefully review our full Terms, Conditions and Cancellation Policy before purchase.
Advanced Open Water
Master Scuba Diver