Want to make a difference on every dive but aren’t sure where to begin? Become a certified PADI AWARE Dive Against Debris Diver! We are a 100% PADI AWARE Partner and the Casino Point Dive Park is the perfect location to gain the knowledge and skills to activate your inner Citizen Scientist!
As a PADI AWARE Dive Against Debris Diver, you’ll learn how ocean plastic and trash cleanups not only keep your local dive sites healthier, but also how to contribute to a global database that documents our planet’s marine debris problem. In addition, this specialty will count toward your Master Scuba Diver rating.
- sources and impacts of marine debris
- keeping local dive sites clean from ocean plastic and debris
- use of photography and hazards you might encounter
- identifying which objects should and shouldn’t be removed from the ocean
- conducting a survey: sorting, weighing, recording and reporting what you collect
- survey frequency, sites, profiles and equipment
- how divers are part of the solution
Become a PADI Torchbearer and join the movement of ordinary people just like us who are passionately committed to the blue planet and creating ocean change. United by a shared vision to achieve balance between humanity and the ocean, our community is leading a powerful movement to take local action for global impact.
You’ll learn to safely and independently conduct surveys – understanding the “how and why” of each skill so you’ll be able to make informed decisions when your instructor isn’t around to offer guidance. In this class, you’ll have an instructor right by your side, so you’ll feel comfortable while you gain more confidence in your abilities.
All of our classes are private, limited to just you or your small group. This class is generally planned over a minimum 1-day period, but with us, learning happens at your own pace. Rushing through is not the way to go.
Our belief in the art of possible and adaptive approach to teaching empowers you on a journey that is unique to you.
Our approach is different than you’ll find elsewhere: we celebrate inclusivity and diversity and ensure that everyone is treated with respect, patience, empathy and kindness.
All PADI courses are performance-based, meaning that we modify skill techniques to meet performance requirements by leveraging what individual students can do. You purchase a class, but you earn your certification. Call us if you feel you might need additional adaptive support. Learn more
What to Expect
- Your instructor will call each diver before the class begins, so you’ll be able to get to know each other and get answers to any questions you might have.
- Your minimum 1-day class will include 1 Checkout Dive and 1 Open Water training dive.
- This certification may count as an Adventure Dive for PADI Advanced Open Water or Adventure Diver certification. Please ask your instructor for details.
- Pacific water is considered cold water year-round (upper 50s-low 60s F in winter and upper 60s – low 70s in summer), so you will be wearing a 7mm wetsuit, boots and possibly a hood.
- While use of any kind of camera during your training dives is not allowed, we’ll take pictures of our collected debris afterward.
Plan for the Day
- Your class will be conducted at the beautiful Casino Point Dive Park, which is a world-class marine preserve located in Avalon with a shore entry down a short flight of stairs. (Adaptive accommodations are available.)
- The price of your course includes the required eLearning, which you’ll complete at home before your arrival on Catalina Island. We’ll review the information you learned to make sure you have a clear understanding of the information.
- We’ll do some training on land, so you’ll understand what kind of debris we might encounter, what to take and what to leave as well as how to safely manage your debris bag.
- Next, you’ll complete a checkout dive to allow your instructor to evaluate your abilities and level of comfort in the ocean, review buoyancy skills and practice techniques for underwater marine debris removal.
- Then, you’ll plan and execute your Open Water Training Dive to remove debris!
- After the dive, we’ll record and report your Dive Against Debris data.
- Before we log the debris we’ll take a break including time for rest, water and a healthy lunch.
- Some divers need additional time to complete the class, so if need be, we can do an additional dive. PADI standards allow up to 3 training dives per day.
- If you’ve completed all performance requirements, TA-DA! You’re now a certified PADI AWARE Dive Against Debris Diver!
There’s always time for questions – we’re here to help you every step of the way!
PLEASE NOTE: The Park is considered Confined Open Water by PADI standards. None of your class will be conducted in a pool – there are no pools available on the island.
- All divers must currently hold Open Water or Jr. Open Water certification.
- Class Size: For the AWARE Dive Against Debris Specialty, we prefer to keep the class size to a maximum of 4 divers in one party so that everyone has enough time to learn in comfort at their own pace. However, if you have a larger family group, please call us and we will try to accommodate your needs.
- We have had requests by friends or family members to join divers on certification classes. Generally, this is not allowed, as both the student and instructor need to be focused on diver skills and safety. If this is something you feel strongly about, please call us to discuss your concerns.
- Minimum Age: Certified divers ages 10 and up may participate, but no more than two 10- or 11-year-old divers may be in the same class per PADI standards. (Depth limits also apply.)
- Logbook: Please bring your current Logbook for you instructor to review.
- PADI AWARE App: Please download the PADI AWARE App to your mobile phone and set up your profile before you arrive for your class. Only one report will be made per dive, but everyone should know how to report on your own.
- Insurance: You must purchase DAN Dive Insurance for every member of your group and provide proof of insurance prior to your arrival on Catalina Island. Learn more
- Medical Clearance: All certification classes require medical clearance before arrival on the island. Please download and complete this form immediately, returning it signed via email as soon as possible before your arrival.
- Depending on each diver’s unique circumstance, signoff by a medical doctor may be required. Please contact us immediately if you have any concerns whatsoever. If you need medical signoff and you do not have that before your arrival, you will not be allowed to proceed with your class.
- If anyone under the age of 18 is participating, there are additional forms which will be provided, and which must also be completed and signed by a parent or guardian and returned via email as soon as possible before your arrival.
- You must have good buoyancy and be in good overall health.
- Do bring your own bathing suit and towel. We also recommend bringing a warm jacket for surface intervals.
- eLearning: The price of your class includes the required eLearning, which must be completed prior to your arrival on Catalina Island. Once you’ve purchased your class, a link to your personal e-Learning will be provided.
- Private Instruction: Your class will be yours alone. No one you don’t know will be participating.
- Standard Gear: We provide everything you need for your day of diving from quality high-end gear, to shade, mats and chairs – even locked storage for your valuables and fresh water to rinse off after your dive. All included for no extra charge. Learn more
Gear Package includes:
- 7mm wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves, as needed
- Computer, if needed
- Mask, fins and snorkel
- BCD, regulator, tanks and weights
- Sizing: Please indicate the correct body weight, height and shoe size for each diver. Because we bring your gear to you, we would need to leave Casino Point to exchange sizes or retrieve necessary items. This may not leave enough time for all dives planned per day, incurring additional fees for the time needed to complete the class.
- If you already have your own gear, we’ll fit you and help you learn to use it properly if needed.
- If you have your own computer, please download and carefully read the user manual before you arrive.
- Specialty Materials: We will provide everything you need to conduct your survey dive including a tarp, scale, gloves, data card and waste container for use during your class. (There are also resources you can download in your eLearning.)
- Proof of Certification: We will process your certification and PADI will issue a certification e-Card upon completion of your class. Best of all, because we’re a 100% AWARE partner, you will receive a special Project AWARE version of your PADI certification card so that you can proudly display your support of ocean conservation! Physical cards may be purchased from PADI at an additional charge.
- Drinks and Snacks: We provide water (and hot beverages if it’s chilly), but please feel free to bring your own light snacks and we’ll keep them in a cooler if needed.
- Catering: Healthy catered lunches including options for protein shakes are available at an additional fee.
Our Environmental Commitment ensures that our gear, products and packaging are as eco-friendly as possible. Learn more
AWARE Dive Against Debris Diver Certification Class – 1 day, including 1 Checkout Dive and 1 Open Water Dive
- $395 per person
- If you have already purchased your eLearning, you will receive a $100 discount. Please call us to provide your eLearning code and receive your discount.
Additional Training Days
Purchase of a class does not guarantee certification. Additional days may be required to complete training dives (at the discretion of your PADI instructor) in order to meet PADI standards for certification.
- Additional training day: $350 per person
- Additional half training day (less than 4 hours): $250 per person
- NOTE: For Adaptive Divers, different rates may apply. Please call us to discuss your unique situation.
- Add PADI AWARE Specialist certification: $55 per person Learn more
- Add Enriched Air/ Nitrox certification: $195 per person (includes eLearning) Learn more
- A second certification may be earned during your AWARE Dive Against Debris class at a reduced rate from purchase of a stand-alone class. There is no separate in-water dive, but Nitrox may be used during a training dive.
- eLearning must be complete before arrival.
- You must have your own computer so that you can change your gas mixture settings independently.
- Nitrox tank rental may be done on-site through a local vendor at an additional fee.
- Bundling Classes: If you are interested in bundling other certifications, please call us to discuss your options.
- Add catered food or beverages for your surface interval. See Menus
All prices are in US dollars.
Please carefully review our full Terms, Conditions and Cancellation Policy before purchase.
You may also be interested
Advanced Open Water